Sunday, February 21, 2010

Is dying or highlighting hair harmful for african americans?

I plan on getting the top part of my hair dyed....my real hair color is dark brown and i want to dye my hair reddish brown but my mother is worried that if i dye my hair it will fall out or break my hair off when i get perms...i already have short hair but i feel that if i dye my hair that my hairstyles will look better and stand outIs dying or highlighting hair harmful for african americans?
yes ur hair will breakIs dying or highlighting hair harmful for african americans?
No hun, your hair will not break out if you follow the directions on the package. I have blond high-lites and have had them for about a year, and my hair hasn't broken off. Just always use conditioner, moisterizers, and leave in conditioner after you wash your hair to keep it from drying out.

Report Abuse



dont think so Why not ask a hairdresser??
well if your hair is healthy it should be okay. i got my hairl dyed 2 times this month,and my hair is not healthy but my hair did not break off or fall out.
It's not harmful to your body or anything. But since you relax your hair, your hair is already damaged from that process period. Our coarse hair is already the most fragile hair type there is, and then when it's relaxed it becomes even more fragile, then think about putting more chemicals on top of that in order to dye it.





With that said, I once tried to dye my hair, which was shoulder length, and it eventually broke off because my hair is already pretty dry and I didn't take care of it like I should. With that said I know people who's hair broke off from dying it because it just became too dry and brittle. But I also have a couple of friends who dye their hair a lot, they also have relaxers and their hair doesn't fall out at all. One of my friends highlights or bleaches her hair at least once a month and nothing happens at all to her.





So I think it depends on the person. If you do dye it, I suggest you got to a stylist to get it done, and ask them do they think your hair would be healthy enough to take it. If they say yeah go for it, but keep those ends trimmed, and make sure you condition, condition, condition. And keep your hair well-oiled. That should work for you, plus since I assume you have a really short cut, it's probably not going to hurt, because you probably keep your hair trimmed a lot anyway.
Nope. All hair dyes do dry your hair a little, but hardly. Just make sure you go to a PROFESSIONAL hair dresser, never use box dye...it has harsh chemicals in it. And also use some good conditioning treatments to keep your hair healthy and shiny!
i guess if your hair is short then do it. but mom is right, it will break ur hair. i am aa also and i have beautiful long and healthy hair and mine is dark/reddish brown. i have wanted hightlights for ever, but my stylist wont do it. again if short and u dont intend on growing it out, go for it. u only live once. besides u wanna look cute.
Hair highlighting and hair straightening are not good for your hair. But that doesn't mean you have to avoid it totally. If you do a hair highlighting, make sure you pamper your hair and protect it real well. Thorough conditioning can protect the hair and make it smooth and shiny all day long. Oil massaging your hair once a week and shampoo/ conditioning would help to revitalise your hair. All the best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment